Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Pictures!!


As promised, here are some pictures from the first few weeks of my new life in Athens...

This is my WELCOME!! bulletin board. I decided a western/desert theme would go well with my bright orange walls! The board says "Welcome to the Roundup."


This is my alphabet wall and the students' mailboxes where we send home extremely important and confidential documents disguised as coloring sheets and projects:)


This is my number wall and some shelves with toys. I have since added a little crate with some toy construction trucks (which are, of course, of the Caterpillar variety).


Here are the volcanoes we made and erupted one day, using the ever fail-proof vinegar and baking soda.


Here is one of the spiders we made with its web. It was very interesting teaching the kids how to weave the web. I used letters to help guide the string. It seemed to work but may have been a little advanced. Oh well, live and learn.


This is my apartment (in front of my car). The other side is the fellowship hall.


This is the classroom that I taught the 4/5 year olds in until I moved into the orange room. Now Melissa teaches this class, Louise teaches the 3 year olds, and I'm with the 2's.


The door to the right is where you enter the preschool so this is what you would see. Parents sign their kids out on the clipboard. This is also Melissa's office.


These are one of the "special treats" the kids got one day if they did a good job eating their lunches. Deb B. and Whitley G. visited from Eureka and made these giraffes in addition to helping out with other things at the preschool. They were my first guests and stayed with me in my spare bedroom. I had a lot of fun getting to know them and jamming around with them on instruments. Deb brought down her hammered dulcimer so Mike invited some of his friends and the Roberts to come play at the FH one night. Ah... good times...

In the 2's room, we are currently creating our own version of the game Twister. (Because I couldn't find it at Walmart and didn't want to spend a ton of time searching for it.) Plus I wanted to modify it to include other shapes besides circles. So each day we work on making one of the rows on a big white sheet that wasn't being used. Tuesday we made the circles by sponge painting. Today we made the triangle row by gluing construction paper down. Tomorrow I believe we will make glitter squares and I haven't figured out yet what shape the last row will be or how we will create them. I'll be sure to put a picture of it up once it's completed.

Adios.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Susan,

Sounds like you are a great teacher! Keep up the good work!

Greg

Anonymous said...

Loving your theme and super project ideas! I'd love to be in your class :)

Great job, Susan.

Christy

Amber said...

LOVE the orange walls and bright colors. :) And Sprout, your classroom looks so CLEAN!! I can't quite get over it.

love,
amber

SuDodge said...

Greg and Christy - thanks for the encouragement!

Amber - LOVE the vote of confidence in my cleaning abilities...actually everything's clean because we vacuum every day and I have my minions pick up the toys;)

Hard Hat Girl said...

I love all your creative crafts and things you are doing... looks so fun! It looks like a great place, can't wait to see it in person soon! - Syd