Saturday, March 8, 2014

Snow Day and Visitors

Wow this winter has actually been a real winter for once. We even got 4 inches of snow in AL! In my mind it was refreshing to see this winter because this is the type of winter I remember from my childhood. I kind of wish I would have been back home to experience all the snow, even the driving part. Some of us went to Sarah and Danny's wedding and got stuck in a freezing rain snow storm on the way back. After Kalla drove 5 hours through the mess (remember there aren't many snow plows in the south) we pulled over just south of Paducah and found a motel with a room. The next morning, I got to drive the typical 3 hour trip in 5 hours. I actually preferred driving on the snowy part of the interstate because underneath was about 4 inches of ice. This stuff was really bumpy and felt like you were driving on the rumble strips. In fact the night before I remember waking up from a nap and asking Kalla why we were driving on the rumble strips and she informed me it was the ice. Crazy stuff. But anyway here is a picture from the wedding:

Kalla  Amber  Cassie  Me

Like I said before we had a legitimate snow day here. It began about 10pm and continued until noon or so the next day. A few of my neighbors and I were walking around at midnight watching it snow. The next day, I think 70% of the yards I saw had a snowman in them. It was rather humorous but this is something that is not ordinary here.

When it began snowing. You can see how wet it is.
The next morning the trees looked gorgeous. A lot of the evergreens and pines had snapped and bent branches from the weight of the snow.
Another shot of when the snow began.
The next morning again.


I have had two sets of visitors. Bob and Jenny and Cecily came down to visit the weekend before Thanksgiving. It was a rainy weekend so we couldn't do much outside. But Cecily got to dance around with the preschool kids and see some animals at a pet shop. We made some meals together. After setting up a personal table for Cecily while she ate her grilled cheese and tomato soup, I decided our house is not super kid friendly. At least not the kitchen table:)

Then Sharon, Rustin, Grace, and Eden came to visit in February. They brought me the rest of my power tools! We went thrift store shopping and found some sweet deals, visited Mark and Bekah, ate at Big Bob Gibson's (the best BBQ around), and went ice skating. It's been a few years since I've ice skated so I was super excited that it worked out. This was the girls' first time and they did okay. I wasn't sure they would even want to get on the ice but had fun when Rustin or Sharon and I pulled them along between us (probably because they didn't have to worry about balancing:) 
Eden looks a little frightened.
Sharon and Eden watching the action on the ice.

At Big Bob Gibson's. They seriously have the biggest loaded baked potatoes I've ever seen and they are scrumptious. This picture does not do them justice.
 

Grace practicing her balancing skills before getting on the ice.

Grace's turn to go with us.
I know this wasn't Sharon and Rustin's first choice of a fun thing to do but thanks for humoring me. I love ice skating and had fun introducing Grace and Eden to it. Until next time...

No comments: