Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Mid-semester update:

A few changes have occurred since my last post (yes I know it was eons ago). I have decided that U of I is officially more time consuming than Parkland was. I moved into a new apartment with a new roommate, Laura T. She's laid back and fun to live with. We have had many interesting conversations about our car drama and opinions on various topics. We have had some trouble with our cars this semester. Her car quite literally drowned when the street drains backed up and the water rose up a few feet. As sad as that was, it was entertaining watching our drunk neighbors swim in the huge puddle at an intersection near our apartment. And my car has been attacked twice by rodents who like to chew the wires leading to my transmission. I don't understand what is so tempting about metal wrapped in plastic, so the guys at the shop decided to wrap the wire in aluminum tape and it seems to be working.

I am doing clinicals this semester which means I am in the classroom actively observing. I have already taught a few lessons to students this semester and it is pretty fun. I'm pretty sure God knew what He was doing when He directed me toward teaching (especially since it had really never crossed my mind). Today I actually directed a classroom meeting with my fourth graders. We discussed how to respond to various problems on the playground--like bullying, cheating, and arguing--and when it is appropriate to have an adult step in. I believe it went well and my cooperating teacher said I did a good job with classroom management. I also teach at a different school with three other girls from my science class. We teach a total of three lessons throughout the semester. Our first one was on fingerprints and how they are unique to each individual person. Then we taught them how to find their pulses and measure their heart rates from that. I got ahold of a stethoscope and brought it in. The children were very excited about that!

Today I led a discussion in my art class about controversial aspects of Disney movies and how they are not as family friendly as people think. It was fun listening to my classmates share their opinions. One girl really did not like all this negativity and vehemently supported Disney. This was one of the more intriguing presentations I've done in college because I got to sit and watch several Disney films and tape the parts I needed. Then I pieced together those clips into a movie via Windows Movie Maker...just like old times in High School!! I love making movies: the filming, watching other people act, even the editing. Then my presentation partner did her bit which included an art activity--painting modern totem poles. I went to Menards and got some dowel (sp?) rods and Dad made some bases for them to fit in. Very cool!

So that's a quick update on life. Everything's going pretty well. Kind of busy but God's teaching me a lot about trusting Him and putting spiritual things before school. A bit of advice to any student: don't ever intentionally miss a chance to fellowship with others so you can study or do homework. Your spiritual life is much more important and the work always gets done! I guess I should give an update on that aspect of my life too. I was announced for peace recently and am in the process of setting up meetings with the other ministers. Please pray that this goes smoothly and thanks for your support!

~SuDodge

No comments: