Saturday, August 4, 2012

Gettin' ready for school...

...sort of:)  I can't really say life's been super busy this summer besides entertaining summer guests.  They seem to come in spurts.  Actually I just enjoy reading other people's blogs better than updating my own!  This summer seemed to fly by.  My kids studied different animals and are now learning about the ecosystems these animals live in.  They are getting very good at painting without getting paint on themselves.  They LOVE swimming (too bad we only go once a week).  I'm pretty sure Shaylyn asks me every day if it's our day to go in the pool.  It's neat to see God's provision for the preschool.  Just the other week I was worrying a little about numbers at the preschool since we will be losing our graduates soon, and one day I had 3 phone calls in one day about parents interested in enrolling their children.  At the end of the day I chuckled to myself because I keep relearning the lesson that God always comes through for me.  The next couple weeks will be full of me planning lessons to introduce the students to school/routine and updating all the paperwork. 

So everyone up north is talking about how dry it is and I got to see firsthand what IL looks like during a drought.  It was kind of sad.  I'll give you a little update on AL weather for those of you who are interested *cough* Grandpa Beutel *cough*.  Around the 4th of July, there were many counties that had fire bans out since it was so dry.  Then we had a week of non-stop rain and everything turned green again.  I don't think my garden recovered though because my cucumbers are now very squishy.  I even found a yellow one today.  It looks like we are going to get a lot of rain this next week, so the kiddos will probably have to be inside (unless we let them have their sprinkler day in the rain:)  Hurricane season is starting up this month and I think it lasts until December or so.  I've been told Athens usually just gets a lot of rain, high winds, and maybe some tornados. Tornado season is still going strong but we haven't had any close since March (tornado season lasts from February to November or so).  Temperatures have been nice (mostly in the low 90s, upper 80s).  It does feel pretty muggy though because of the rain. 

Last night I did something I've never done before.  A downpour had just started when Kalla and Tanya (from IL) came in the door.  Tanya was talking about how exciting it was to see rain and I was longing to go run around in it.  So we decided to grab the dish soap and a sponge and wash the cars.  We got soaked.  It was a blast!  It also rained a lot this morning and we have a flash flood warning out.  It's crazy how different two places can be when they're only 500 miles away from each other.

No comments: