Thursday, August 9, 2012

Visitors


Kalla and I have had quite a few visitors these past few weeks.  Some expected, and some unexpected.  Maria and Sarah came down to sub for a couple days this week.  Two weeks before they came Margie, Deb, and Whitley subbed/volunteered for a week.  It's been nice having so many people helping out right before the school year starts because we get all sorts of homemade classroom materials made (which in my opinion are way cooler than the stuff you can buy at a teaching store:)  In church last Sunday, morning singing was just about to start when Kerwin announces there's a huge spider on the wall.  I had to check this out and save it for the bug man because he had just fogged then entire church earlier this month.  It was one of the giant wolf spiders with tons of babies on her back.  We caught her and put her in a sealed container to successfully kill ALL the spiders.  It would'be been about impossible to kill all the babies.  These are harmless but still creep me out a little bit.  I had to kill one in the ladies bathroom today for Ms. Barbara. But thankfully my fearless student, Michael, was there to help me:)  These spiders are a little bit bigger than a silver dollar (legs included).
Her abdomin is actually pretty skinny but she's carrying her babies.

You can see some of the babies climbing up the side of the container.

 
Then yesterday, I was helping the kids get their sleeping mats out when I hear a commotion outside.  I run out there and see three piglets grazing just outside the playground fence!  I have no idea where they came from because I've never seen pigs at any of our neighbors' houses.  So Kalla and I quickly created a corral out of various items from the mower shed and called the Sheriff's Dept. to find out where they lived.

I like the speckled one the best.



A very sturdy makeshift pen!

They were very friendly pigs and only escaped our corral once (then we added the extra reinforcement at the bottom of the fence to deter them).  I had to laugh 'cause when the cops came, they asked us if the pigs were mean.  They looked a little hesitant to pick them up, but eventually got them into the truck and whisked them away!  Ah...life is an adventure...

No comments: